cutest blog gray

Sunday, May 13, 2018

We Remember Moments

"We do not remember days, we remember moments"

Every year I consider doing a blog post on Mother's Day, and every year I chicken out.  For fear of being insensitive, or maybe because some of my thoughts are to sacred to share.  But this year, after much thought and prayer and personal enlightenment, I want to share some thoughts on motherhood. 

This morning, just as with every other Mother's Day (including before children), I was awakened by a faint knock at the door (I was actually already awake, checking social media for all the beautiful tributes to mothers) to breakfast in bed.  Its a tradition my husband started when we first realized that being a mother was not going to come easy to me.  It was his way of honoring me as a wife and woman.




And on that thought, this is where my apprehension in sharing comes in.  Even when we were in the thick of infertility and every day I felt my heart tear in bits and pieces when I ached for motherhood, I still loved Mother's Day.  I think in the back of my mind, I knew my Father in Heaven always had a plan for me and I would be a mother someday.  Whether in this life or the next.  As a pediatric nurse I considered all those little wonders part of my motherhood.


Many, many, many times in my married life and even life as a mother, I find myself being pulled away from my divine calling into thoughts of negativity.  This is definitely the adversary trying to squash my self-worth.  The thoughts of why not now, why me, am I not trustworthy enough to rear up your most precious; constantly plagued me.  Even thoughts of "why just two?", after being so blessed to have two children through adoption.  How selfish can it get?  To finally have the blessing of motherhood and my greediness to have more was all I could focus on.  Man, I hate that side of me.

And then....during one of our many attempts to adopt again, only to be heartbroken with the loss of the potential of twin girls, I was at another low point.  Struggling to know why God didn't see me fit to have all the 17 children I desired and yearned for.  In my desperate cry for answers, it came to me, in a quiet thought, "you are a mother for all".   What did that mean?  I didn't quite understand what He was trying teach me, because I am certainly no where near a mother to all, and I definitely didn't see myself as anywhere close to this.  

The Day we became a forever family of four

When Carl and I were married, and sealed for eternity, my grandpa Morgan (who married us) said this, "Love all people".  These three words have shaped me in more ways than anything else in my life.  I have tried to be that person that he taught us on that beautiful May day in the Logan Temple.  While pondering the thought, "you are a mother for all", these three words came roaring in like a train wreck.  My heart exploded with love for all the mothers I admired in church each week.  The mothers with 4 rowdy kids running through the store while she rolled up her sleeves and tied a bun in her hair, in preparation to face the daunting task of shopping with kids.  The mothers that sat in church with 7 little ones in tow, a baby crawling over her shoulder, the 3 year old tugging at her hair looking for attention, the two brothers fighting over the crayons.  The mothers at the park, resting their feet and bulging belly growing new life, while watching all their little children play in hopes to ensure she would end up with all of them when returning home.  


This love is when I realized He was trying to tell me that I was blessed with my two children so that I may have more arms and space in my heart for all the other mothers.  My job on this earth is to minister and assist other mothers in rearing their children.  And not to say that I planned to go to each mother and tell them how to parent or survive, because I am certainly not an expert or really have little experience with motherhood.  I just have the heart and desire to serve, and plenty of time and love to give to others.

My sister shared a talk with us this morning from Sis. Eubanks, First Counselor of the General Relief Society of the LDS Church.  I highly recommend this read, as it brought peace to my heart and confirmed the thoughts I have been having for several years now.  You can read it HERE.  


Sister Eubanks says it far better than I can, so reading will be worth your time.  However, these are some things I learned from her talk.  She said this, "It must be that my Heavenly Parents don't view who I am at any static moment in time, but instead see the person I am meant to be and the person my accumulated choices will let me be".

God doesn't judge us for our circumstances, He sees us as who we are from what we are given, He sees our hearts and how He is able to use our hands to do His work.  He loves us for what we can do for others, not what we feel we are missing out on in this life.  My mother heart and desire to be a beacon for others is how He sees me each day.

I do not celebrate this Mother's Day without gratitude for the mother's that shared their unconditional love and devotion to being exactly what God asks of us to be.  My motherhood as it is, is given to me by not only a loving Heavenly Father, but by His daughters and sons that were selfless enough and loved enough to place theirs in my arms.  

In each day in my life, there have been many moments that I cherish beyond words.  Moments that have molded me and taught me how to love deeper and serve genuinely.  These moments come from the love I have received from others.  Their physical and emotional pain that they endured for my benefit is not unlike the love our Savior gives daily to us.  


 The moment she handed her and him to me, were moments only expressed through a lifetime of unending love for their children.  


Moments where the blessing of eternal families include so many more than just my little family of four.  Where I feel my Savior's love so real and warm like He is there holding me tight with His arms secure around my shoulders.



Moments when the look in their eyes speaks volumes of this love, the same love I pray to be able to share with so many others.



The moments when I realize, "you are a mother for all".  

Moments of being an aunt, a friend, a mentor, a leader, a neighbor and an instrument in His hands.





























1 comment:

Unknown said...

Paula! I so needed this! This year is my first real mother's day and I used to absolutely hate it. Infertility sucks, but it has helped me become more loving and I agree that it opens our hearts to love more of the precious children. I struggles this morning missing my foster babes, but was over joyed to be holding my own! Love you!!!